Friday, February 1, 2013

Meeting Mary Engelbreit


Yesterday I had the honor of meeting Mary Engelbreit (If you don't know who she is, google her. I guarantee you've seen her artwork somewhere at some point in your life) For an illustrator, this is as good as it gets...like if an animator got to meet Walt Disney or a musician got to meet the Beatles or something...haha.


But seriously..I've admired Mary's work my entire life. I grew up surrounded by it and would often try to re-create my favorite pieces of hers growing up. Like me, she never went to art school..she is self taught, which makes her story even more amazing!


She hung out with us for hours, giving us the tour, chatting it up, telling us stories, signing whatever we wanted..we were even supposed to get lunch(!!!) but unfortunately ran out of time.



(Mary's studio!! )

(Me in front of Mary's sketches!)





We got to see some new up and coming work, as well as some unfinished pieces, and the entire 2014 calendar!

I also had the chance to show her some of my work and she gave me some really great feedback!

I don't think I'll be able to stop smiling for a while.

6 comments:

  1. Ahhh, that is so exciting! I'm so happy for you, Amy! I've been surrounded by Mary's stuff since I was a kid, too. It would be awesome to get a peek into her studio! <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Michelle!! It really was the most amazing day!

      Delete
  2. Wow, that's so exciting! Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is SO COOL!!! I love Mary Engelbreit! And your outfit is super-cute.
    Have a nice day!
    -Charlotte
    http://abelleofthebluegrass.blogspot.be/

    ReplyDelete